12 September 2011

Exploring Tibetan Meditation - Assignment #2

I feel proud of my reaction when I did lose concentration this week.  In the past I would have berated myself.  This time around, I found myself amused and somehow gentle with myself.

This week I counted breaths.  That takes me back to the second meditaiton technique I ever learned.  31 years later, I start again.  The assignment use a much higher number than back then, though.

My first day went fairly easily.  With my clogged sinuses, and a timer set for 10 minutes, I only made it through three cycles of counting before the timer went.  The sinuses make me breathe so slowly I can feel my brain down-shifting.  I concetrated throughout with only one lost count.

Day two flew by like day one.  The soft chimes of the alarm almost startled me.

Day three came after several hours of packing to move.  And that came after working all day.  My exhaustion crushed my concentration.  I never made it past the count of eight.  And that made the time crawl like a one-legged ant trying to cross a pool of honey.

Day four we moved.  We worked harder than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.  I fell into bed without meditating.

Day five I waited until quite late again.  My concentration staggered at first, but I found my focus and finished without losing track again.

Day six eased by with clear sinuses, good focus and a seated position so comfortable I almost fell asleep sitting.  I might do better meditating a bit earlier.  I probably would function better if I went to bed earlier, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment